We deserved to win - Redfearn - Head coach gives his verdict on the 2-2 draw with Charlton

leedsunited.com 5/11/14
United head coach Neil Redfearn felt his side deserved to take all three points after Charlton twice came from behind to draw 2-2 at Elland Road.
A fairly evenly-matched first half ended goalless, but young midfielder Alex Mowatt fired United into the lead four minutes after the break with the first of two stunning strikes.
Johann Berg Gudmundsson levelled for the visitors on 62 minutes, before Mowatt curled home a sensational second as United looked set to secure a first victory in eight games .
But despite Gudmundsson converting an 81st-minute penalty to share the spoils, Redfearn saw encouraging signs of improvement and believes United would have been worthy winners.
"I’m pleased with the performance, I have to say," said the head coach. "We showed some desire and showed some heart.
"The home games I’ve seen previously, they’ve sort of fizzled in the second half but this time they didn’t. It was demanded at half-time and it’s what we got.
"I don’t think they realise what they’ve got under their shirts, today they proved that they can really take a team to task. They’re a good side are Charlton but I thought we were good today."
The draw extended United’s winless run to eight games and Redfearn is keen to see his side regain the consistency that was building during his caretaker spell earlier this season.
"We’ve got to get back to the stuff we were doing. I thought it was much more like us, I have to say," he said.
"I thought we passed the ball well, I thought we competed and were aggressive. I thought we deserved to win if I’m honest.
"But we’ve got to take heart from it and go into the game on Saturday and get three points.
"It’s a process. I think we were getting to that point in the caretaker spell when we dominated against Huddersfield.
"I thought that was a complete performance and then we’ve lost it again for whatever reason.
"I looked at it on Saturday and they were just shades of themselves. Now today, I’m hoarse with it, but I’ve dragged it out of them and they performed.
"They’ve competed and they’ve got about Charlton and they deserved to win. If that’s what we’ve got to do, that’s what we’ll do until we get back to where we need to be."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23