Whites ambition appealed to Warnock INTERVIEW

Yorkshire Evening Post 31/1/13
New signing Stephen Warnock says the ambition of Leeds United and the feeling of being wanted was what drew him to the Whites.
The ex-Aston Villa defender has signed a two-and-a-half year deal with the club after moving up from the Midlands.
He told the club website: “I wasn’t needed at Villa, we’d had a couple of calls of interest and Villa said I was free to speak to clubs.
“Leeds offered me a contract and at first it was a shorter term contract, but I was on my way to West Ham earlier in the week and Leeds came back in and really made me feel wanted.
“There were a couple of clubs interested, but when you see the size of Leeds and the magnitude of the club there’s only one choice, and once I’d spoken to the manager I knew I wanted to come.
“Obviously I’ve not been playing at Villa, and when you have a manager who wants you to play and has confidence in you it’s nice to hear.”
Warnock is the second signing of transfer deadline day, joining striker Steve Morison.
“I haven’t come here to be a Championship player and I’m sure Steve Morison is the same,” said Warnock. “I played against him last year, he’s a very powerful player and I’m sure he’s the sort Leeds fans will like to see.
“When you look at the position at the moment, a couple of wins throws you into the promotion chase. “The new signings will hopefully lift the squad a little bit because that usually happens. Leeds is a huge club and we want to take it back to the Premier League.
“It’s a strong squad here. You look back at the QPR and Sheffield United teams the manager assembled. They were tough teams who knew how to win games, and they were hard to play against.”
Warnock has been allocated squad number 15 and could come straight into the reckoning for Saturday’s Elland Road clash with league leaders Cardiff City.
“I’m fit and ready to go,” he added. “It’ll be up to the manager whether he wants to play me or wait, but I’m fit and ready.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23