Wootton’s sparkling Leeds debut gives McDermott options

Yorkshire Post 29/8/13
Scott Wootton’s bow for Leeds United on Tuesday night was right up there with the best.
A resolute defensive display helped the Whites turn their good start to the 2013-14 campaign into an excellent one with their unbeaten run stretching to six matches following the 3-1 Capital One Cup derby win at Doncaster Rovers.
And he added a goal for good measure.
Yet while the Birkenhead-born centre-half was entitled to bask in the glow of his dream debut, he was just as eager to share the bouquets around.
Positives abounded for manager Brian McDermott, who despite making six changes saw his side see off a virtually full-strength Rovers outfit.
Wootton’s performance and goal were high on the tick list, as was the dominant display of powerhouse striker Matt Smith, who never gave the Rovers’ defence a moment’s peace and crowned matters with the decisive 77th-minute strike to put the visitors 2-1 up with his first goal in Leeds colours.
Few players have had the measure of Doncaster’s redoubtable captain and League One Team of the Year entrant Rob Jones in the past 12 months.
But Smith provided Jones and centre-back partner Bongani Khumalo with a difficult night, with the former Oldham forward winning the majority of the aerial battles and scoring with a thumping header.
Eighteen-year-old debutant and Doncaster lad Alex Mowatt, handed a surprise debut in midfield, also came through with flying colours for United and McDermott, providing an assist for Wootton’s 41st-minute opener to complement the good news story.
On his goal, Wootton, who was watched by several family members, said: “It was a very special moment and I want to be a Leeds United player for a long time and to make my debut was great and to cap it off with a goal and a decent performance, I am delighted.
“My mum, grandad and uncle were here and I am sure they will be happy. They come to most games. My dad works away, but whenever he’s home he always comes, wherever it is all over the country.
“My dad was an Everton fan as a kid, but they all just support me and the team whoever I am playing for now.”
On Leeds’s performance, he added: “We showed at Doncaster we have a good squad and there’s a great mood in the camp at the moment and all the lads are buzzing. It’s a really good place to be, and long may that continue.
“Matt was a massive handful and a great outlet for us. If we were under pressure, the ball stuck to him and he won his headers. We were glad he was on our team.
“I also thought Alex was absolutely brilliant. You would have never guessed it was his debut, he was so calm on the ball and showed a lot of confidence, with some great forward passes.”
Wootton’s accomplished display alongside Jason Pearce has provided McDermott with a potential selection quandary heading into Saturday’s eagerly-awaited home encounter with much-fancied QPR, something the defender is fully aware of.
He added: “There is good competition for places and I’d like to think I have done myself no harm.
“At the same time, Tom Lees and Jason Pearce had great games at the weekend.
“Obviously, it’s up to the manager, but I think they will be disappointed if they lose their places after a 2-1 away win at Ipswich. But I am happy with how I played and hopefully, it will give the manager something to think about.”
Food for thought was also given to McDermott’s counterpart Paul Dickov by Rovers’ goalscorer and ex-Whites forward Billy Paynter. His clinical 63rd-minute headed equaliser, shortly after coming on for Theo Robinson, was one of the main plus points for the Rovers’ chief.
Robinson and Chris Brown may have taken plenty of plaudits in the past few weeks, with Paynter stuck on the bench and largely in the shadows, but the Liverpudlian saw his name in lights, albeit briefly, on Tuesday evening.
The 29-year-old, who went close to a famous winner after coming on late at Wigan last week, admits it has been a frustrating start to the season personally, although it is very much a case of not getting mad, but even.
Paynter, who chose not to celebrate his leveller out of respect for his former club, said: “Brownie and Theo have been playing really well and scoring goals and I can’t complain. For me, it was about giving the manager something to think about.
“I can’t go in and batter his door down because Browny and Theo are doing the business. I have just got to be professional about it and bide my time. If I get some minutes, I have got to try and make an impact.
“I know my game time has been limited this season, but I’ve got to bite my tongue at times as it’s the manager’s decision.”
On his goal, he said: “I didn’t celebrate out of respect and just ran off into the corner.
“At Leeds, it was just a frustrating time. I had injuries in my first season and didn’t really get going.
“But the Leeds fans always wanted me to do well and I thank them for that and wish them all the best.”
leon.wobschall@ypn.co.uk

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23