McDermott eager to retain ‘quality McCormack brings’

Yorkshire Post 19/8/13
by Leon Wobschall
LEEDS UNITED manager Brian McDermott has reiterated his desire to keep hold of talismanic forward Ross McCormack, who underlined his importance to the club with another key contribution in Saturday’s derby draw with Sheffield Wednesday.
The 27-year-old was the subject of ‘two or three’ failed bids from Middlesbrough last week, but despite the snub, the Teessiders are being tipped to make an improved offer ahead of the closure of the transfer window on September 2.
With few genuine creative match-winners at his disposal, McDermott is desperate for McCormack to remain at the club with the Scot earning the Whites a point after netting an exquisite 58th-minute equaliser to thwart the Owls, who had been on course for their first league win of the campaign following Kamil Zayatte’s first-half opener.
McDermott said: “I want Ross to score those goals in August, September, any time. It’s that real bit of quality. “I said at half-time, ‘let’s not wait for anything to happen. Let’s grab it, someone grab it’, and he did that.
“It was a fabulous goal.
“We’ve turned down two or three bids (for McCormack). People know my view and my view hasn’t changed. I’ve spoken to Ross and you can see the quality that he brings. You saw his (goal) celebration as well.
“He loves playing football, he loves this football club and I want him to stay. Absolutely.”
On the prospect of renewed interest from Boro, McDermott added: “That’s up to them. They can do what they like, but as far as I am concerned, I want Ross to be here.
“That’s their prerogative to do what they like.
“Let’s not talk about transfers. I don’t know is the answer. I just don’t know.
“Ross has got good ability, he’s a talent. I’d like to keep him. The ideal situation – and it hasn’t happened in the four years I’ve been a manager – is to keep all your players and add to your squad. It will happen to me one day, I’m sure.”
Owls chief Dave Jones admits that there is nothing imminent on the incoming transfer front at Hillsborough with existing players needing to be moved on to provide him with room for manoeuvre in the market ahead of the window closing in a fortnight.
Jones, who saw Lewis Buxton and Reda Johnson make their seasonal bows on Saturday following injury and Giles Coke also return after missing the previous weekend’s game with Burnley, said: “We will just keep chipping away. I have still got to move people out at this moment if I want to generate money to bring people in.
“But it was nice to get some of my senior players back and that was important for us on Saturday, as it was to come through without any injuries.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23