Over the moon - Matt Smith interview

leedsunited.com 10/6/13
New signing speaks of his delight at joining Leeds…
New United striker Matt Smith says he is 'over the moon' at joining Leeds United and admits he can't wait to start his career with the club.
Oldham Athletic striker Matt will officially join the club on July 1 when his current contract expires.
"I'm absolutely delighted," he said. "Once I heard of the interest from Leeds United I was over the moon.
"It's a massive club with a massive history and I'm looking forward to being a part of it."
United, along with a host of Championship clubs, were vying for the striker's signature, but once Matt knew of interest from Elland Road he was only going to end up in one place.
"I was taking my summer holidays and I heard of some bits of interest but once Leeds came in it was a no-brainer," said United's new signing.
"Everything about the club is fantastic and hopefully I can do well here.
"Growing up as a kid Leeds were an absolute powerhouse with the likes of Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka, that's what I remember from growing up.
"But knowing what I do now it's a huge club with a terrific fan base. And with what Brian did at Reading, which is obviously something that he will want to do here, everything is just perfect really."
United's new arrival was instantly impressed with his new manager and he is looking forward to manager and his team improving him as a player.
"To do what he did at Reading was absolutely fantastic and just from meeting him you can sense his enthusiasm," said Matt. "He wants to do well for the club and I'm sure that he will.
"I think he is excited at the prospect, he sees it as an interesting one. I'm not the finished article by any means but with the resources and coming into a strong squad I can really thrive."
Matt's journey into professional football can not be described as 'normal' as, at 24-years-old, he has only been a professional for two years.
While studying at the University of Manchester, he impressed at non-league level and was rewarded with move to Oldham Athletic in 2011.
"It's not the most orthodox route into professional football," explained the striker.
"It has been a bit of a rollercoaster coming form university to non-league to League One and now to a big club like Leeds.
"It's been an exciting journey and I'm hoping it is going to be the start of a new challenge for me and I'm really looking forward to it.
"I've had a taste of reality, having been in employment outside of football and I know how much of a privileged position I'm in, to be a professional footballer.
"It's something I love doing and I'm very excited."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23