Leeds United: Giant striker gearing up for challenges of a ‘big club’

YEP 19/6/13
Imposing striker Matt Smith insists he is not intimidated by the challenge in front of him at a footballing giant in Leeds United – and has pledged to fully embrace it.
The 6ft 6in ex-Oldham frontman, who officially joins the Whites on a two-year-deal on July 1, admits that while he is no means the finished article after a mere two years in the Football League, neither is he fazed by what lies ahead.
Smith, 24, has been catapulted to prominence so far in a breakthrough 2013, which saw him plunder three FA Cup goals against Liverpool and Everton and finish the season strongly – and he is determined to give his all to give himself the best chance of carrying on that momentum with his new club in 2013-14 in the Championship.
Smith, who hit 11 goals for Oldham last term, told the YEP: “The first thing that struck me when I joined Leeds was how big the club is. Off the back of the day I signed, you really do get to see the size of the club’s fanbase.
“But it’s nothing to feel intimidated by, you must embrace and enjoy it because these chances don’t come around too often and I aim to take it with both hands.
“I am under no illusions and know it will take lots of hard work and dedication to make my mark on the division as there’s more experience and it’s on another level. I need to match that. But I have always been a relentlessly hard worker and if it is not going right on the pitch, away from it, I will make sure I am doing that right thing and on the training ground.”
“You have to work on all sides on your game as you will get found out if you really just excel at one particular point. I feel I am a bit more than just being good in the air and can offer the team other things.”
Birmingham-born Smith’s footballing story has been of the rollercoaster variety after he left Cheltenham Town as a youngster before playing for a host of non-league sides, while also completing a degree in international business management.
But after two seasons at Boundary Park, he has landed a crack at the big time and he intends not to waste it.
Smith, who joined Oldham after a prolific spell at Solihull Moors in 2011, said: “It’s been a rollercoaster from getting released at Cheltenham to playing varying degrees of non-league football to getting my break at Oldham.
“I will always be in debt to Paul Dickov for what he did for my career in giving my opportunity in the Football League.
“To do what I did against two Premier League sides are moments I will never forget. But it was important I said to myself that I wasn’t just known as the guy who scored a couple of goals in the FA Cup.
“I was really happy to finish the season strongly in the league and being the player of the month for League One in April was the icing on the cake.
“When I left Cheltenham, I was very raw and still filling out and wasn’t the height I am now. Full-time football wasn’t an option for me, which is why I took my degree.
“I am still a rookie after only two seasons in full-time football.
“It’s been a fast rise up the ladder, but I have come through on merit and it has not been a fluke.
It’s a great opportunity at Leeds and hopefully I will come on leaps and bounds.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23