Leeds United can’t afford to drag their heels over a new boss - Matteo

YEP 5/4/13
By Dominic Matteo
Leeds United had plenty of notice of Neil Warnock’s departure.
Unlike most managerial changes, this one didn’t come out of the blue. It was on the cards for six or seven weeks.
So when Leeds say that they’ll take their time over appointing his replacement, I only hope that doesn’t mean that they plan to drag their heels.
I’m like the next man – I can see how crucial the decision is and I want it to be right but I’m concerned about the idea of this search running into the summer.
Someone said to me this week “Warnock has only been gone for a few days”, but the truth’s slightly different. In reality, he was going two months ago, right from the moment when he came out after the FA Cup game at Manchester City and laid his cards on the table.
If I’d been a member of the board at Leeds, I’d have taken that as my cue to start looking for someone else.
Yes, the Championship play-offs weren’t out of reach but anyone who knows football could see how unlikely a top-six finish was.
That was the day on which planning should have started and I don’t see why it should take another four or five weeks for the club to fill the managerial vacancy.
I feel very strongly that they need to get this done quickly. By that, I don’t mean rush into an appointment and make a stupid choice but show some urgency and get their man through the door at the first opportunity.
I can’t agree with the view that the last six games of the league season are now meaningless.
To me, it’s a period in which the new boss could get a bird’s eye view of what’s going on at Thorp Arch before the transfer window opens.
In that time he can assess everything – how the players train, how they prepare, how they look after themselves and how they carry themselves. He’d probably be able to establish who he wants to keep and which players are surplus to requirements. After the way this season has gone, I think a few lads will be moving on. Changes have to be made.
Give a coach these few weeks to settle in and find his feet and I think it’ll make a difference to the way next season goes. He’ll know what he’s got and what he’s dealing with. Appoint him in May or June when the squad are away on holiday and it’ll difficult for him to get a handle on the quality of his resources.
Most managers worth their salt have a good knowledge of players across the divisions but seeing footballers on DVDs is not the same as watching them in the flesh.
It’s difficult for me to say who I’d want to be the next manager, not because I’m sitting on the fence but because I’m really unsure.
An awful lot being said about Brian McDermott makes me think he might be right. Gus Poyet’s a good shout too, but, let’s be honest, that won’t be a cheap or easy appointment to make.
My concern at the moment – and I’ve said so before – is that an ambitious manager is only going to come to Leeds if he’s getting the right backing from the owners.
I hate to say it because football shouldn’t be solely about finance but if there’s no serious cash at Elland Road then I just don’t see how anyone can fix this.
Cash is what Leeds need to progress.
For a few years now, the team have lacked the sort of marquee signings that get you out of the Championship. But marquee signings cost money and Leeds never seem to have much. Will it be different under the new owners?
It’ll have to be different if they want someone like McDermott or Poyet to come into the club. I’ve seen it reported that McDermott wants the United job. The truth is that he’ll want the job only if the terms are right.
We’ve got Neil Redfearn and Richard Naylor in temporary charge for now and they’ll do a good job for as long as they’re asked.
Relegation shouldn’t be an issue. But it’s obvious that they’re not contenders for the job full time and, with the greatest of respect, nor should they be. Leeds need a proven, experienced, quality manager and they need him soon. If the club decide to be excessively patient, then they better have a good reason.
Draw looks on cards at The Valley
Last time Neil Redfearn was caretaker of Leeds United, the club won his first game in charge away at Bristol City.
That might be the encouragement you need to get on Leeds at 21/10 at Charlton Athletic tomorrow but this will be tougher.
Sportingbet’s 23/10 on the draw is probably the price to go for, simply because neither side is flying.
There’s a bizarre statistic at the moment which shows that Leeds have failed to score in the first half in any of their last 16 league games. It might tempt you to back Charlton to lead at the interval tomorrow at 15/8. Or it might suggest that the run has to end some time, making Leeds at 13/5 a far better alternative.
It would surprise me if Redfearn makes major changes to the team and despite Dominic Poleon’s recall from Sheffield United, I’d expect him to rely on the experience of Steve Morison, pictured above, and Ross McCormack up front.
McCormack scored a cracker against Derby on Easter Monday and tends to get goals in succession, so back him to score first tomorrow at 11/2.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23