McDermott - I am the man to lead this club forward

Leeds United boss Brian McDermott says he wants to move the club forward as quickly as he can and he still believes he is the right man to lead the club forward.
McDermott was talking ahead of the trip to Burnley this weekend with the clubs play-off hopes in tatters after conceding nine goals in their two games at Elland Road in the past week. McDermott arrived at Elland Road eleven months ago, replacing Neil Warnock after he has endured a similar run to the one McDermott is experiencing this year and he feels it is time to stick with him instead of following the same cycle.
Speaking on LUTV, McDermott said, "I am looking forward to the challenge of managing this football club. It is certainly a challenge.
"When I turned up here, I said there were three words that I would use at Leeds. It was, 'hope, expectation and then what it has been in the past, disappointment.`
"We are now in the disappointment stage and it is the cycle that I am trying to break and get out of and move this club forward as quickly as I can."
Having been in the top six before Christmas, Leeds have picked up just nine points since the draw at Blackpool on Boxing Day to slip into the bottom half of the table. Leeds are currently in fifteenth place, eleven points off a play-off place with just twelve games remaining this season.
McDermott wants to start building for next season and he believes his track record at previous club Reading stands him in good stead to take Leeds back into the Premier League. "We need a leader at this football club. I have been here a short time and I have seen it from the outside in the past ten years. We need a leader and I believe I am the man to do the job here. I have a proven record in this league and it is driving me on," continued McDermott.
He led Reading to the Championship title in 2012 just twelve months after agonisingly missing out in the play-off final to Swansea City. Many believe McDermott was harshly sacked at Reading in March 2013, just a month after being named the Premier League manager of the month.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23