White felt wanted and made move an easier decision

Yorkshire Post 31/10/13
IT IS a case of second time lucky for Sheffield United manager Nigel Clough with new Blades loan recruit Aidan White revealing that he was close to joining up with him at Derby County in 2012.
The Leeds United utility player is attempting to kick-start a frustrating season at Bramall Lane, and Clough being in charge at S2 made his decision to move an easy one.
White, who spoke to former Rams chief Clough when he was out of contract in the summer of 2012, just prior to agreeing a new deal with home-town club Leeds, said: “You always want to go to a club where you are wanted and play under a manager that likes you, so that was an attractive feature about the move.
“I wanted to be back playing, that’s the main thing, and I thought I could do that under Nigel Clough.”
On almost signing for Clough before, the 22-year-old said: “It was close. At the time, I thought that signing at Leeds would be the right decision, so I went with that.
“I am from Leeds and have been with the club from being eight years old and it’s kind of home from home. But it’s always tough when you get offers, you have to evaluate the situation.
“Nigel thought I was good enough and I am delighted really (to join up with him now).
“Leading up to the move, (Leeds boss) Brian McDermott said he’d spoken to Nigel Clough and said how much he really wanted me, and said, ‘What are your thoughts?’ Straightaway, I was keen on the move.”
He will seek to make up for lost time after making just two starts for Leeds in 2013-14.
White, set to be handed his preferred left-back role at Bramall Lane, added: “Brian (McDermott) is a good manager and I do like him. But obviously I have not been playing this year and involved as much as I would have liked to have been, so it has been frustrating.
“I need to be playing games and the loan is to the first of January and we will evaluate the situation. My focus is playing games here and looking at the situation then.”
White’s arrival is expected to solve the Blades’ left-back conundrum, with several players having been utilised there this term without pinning down the position as their own.
White, who has featured as a wing-back for United in the past year or so, admits he is most at home on the left-hand-side of the back four and is ready to help out on that score.
He added: “I see my strongest position as left-back, coming onto the ball and seeing things in front of you.
“That’s where I see my position, although everybody has got their own opinions about where I am best at. Personally, for my future development, left-back is probably the best position for me to be playing.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23