McDermott’s aiming to move deals forward

YEP 22/5/13
by Phil Hay
Leeds united manager Brian McDermott insisted last night that he was hoping for a “straightforward” summer in the transfer market, claiming he had a fixed idea of how his team and squad should look next season.
McDermott admitted that his attempts to bring new players to Elland Road were still at a preliminary stage, two-and-a-half weeks on from the end of the 2012-13 term, but he spoke with quiet confidence about his prospects of hitting the list of targets put forward by him to United’s board.
Leeds have been making initial enquiries about the “six or seven” names laid out by McDermott, who is planning for his first full year in charge of the Championship club.
Speaking to the YEP, McDermott said: “We’re making progress and we’ve had conversations with the agents of a few players. It’s preliminary at the moment but it’s not a secret that I’m looking to move things forward quickly.
“For me it’s very straightforward in the sense that my targets are my targets and I know what I’m looking to get. But I don’t really want to talk about being close to this or close to that because the important thing is getting deals over the line.
“I always say that talks are talks and what matters is getting things done – getting as many of your targets as you can. But I know in my mind exactly where I want to go with this.”
McDermott met with United directors Hisham Alrayes and Salah Nooruddin last week, describing their discussions as “very positive and very encouraging.”
Nooruddin has been on the board at Elland Road for less than a month but he looks increasingly likely to be a main player under the ownership of GFH Capital.
The 49-year-old Bahraini, who holds a 3.33 per cent stake in United, was named as the club’s vice-chairman on Monday and is understood to be in line to succeed Ken Bates as chairman when Bates stands aside on June 30.
McDermott is hoping to see his first-team squad take shape before then, with Leeds due to begin training in the last week of June. The Leeds boss – sacked by Reading in March and appointed by United on April 12 – took a short holiday at the end of the season but said: “I’m not really in the habit of taking breaks. I went away from a little while but to be honest I don’t do breaks and I never have. I’d rather be getting on with things.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23