Blackwell Criticises Official - leedsunited.com

United boss Kevin Blackwell criticised the performance of referee Phil Crossley as Leeds drew 1-1 with Preston in the first leg of the play-offs. Eddie Lewis brought Leeds back into the tie with a superb second half free-kick after David Nugent had put Preston ahead, and afterwards Blackwell expressed his concerns about the official. Blackwell was left fuming after what he believed was an inadequate performance from Crossley; Leeds had two good penalty appeals turned down but it wasn't just those incidents he had complaints about. Said Blackwell:"There were certain things I was disappointed with, I thought the referee was poor, he was rubbish. "I don't know what half the decisions were for, I don't know whether Preston did and I'm sure he (Crossley) didn't. "I thought we could have had two penalties but if I say too much I will be fined and I think the referee should be fined for his performance. "Until we sort out a situation where managers have the right to say what they have got to say, I can't say too much. "But I have questioned whether it was right to have a referee of his standing at a game of this magnitude. We play a meaningless game at Preston last week and they decide it has to be a Premiership referee - but not tonight. I just don't understand some of the people that run this game." Crossley will not be in charge of the return leg at Deepdale on Monday. Blackwell was delighted with the turnout and atmosphere at Elland Road, which saw a 35,000 plus turn out for the first time in nearly three years. "The fans were brilliant tonight, a lot of people haven't been here for two years and were wondering what has happened. "It was a fantastic atmosphere and at 1-0 down we really needed them. It was terrific when that goal went in. "I am disappointed with their goal, we could have done better with it but things happen in games like that and it's how you respond. We kept going, never buckled and our goal was fully deserved." With away goals not counting for double after normal or extra time, the advantage after the first leg rests with neither team and Blackwell is confident his players can perform well enough to come away with a win at Deepdale. "It's a one off game and the winner takes it all. It's effectively 0-0 and we're going to their place to win and I fancy it."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23