Blackwell angry with play-off ref
BBC
Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell was delighted to see his team reach the Championship play-off final although was critical of referee Mike Thorpe.
Leeds overcame Preston 2-0 to win 3-1 on aggregate, but also had Stephen Crainey and Richard Cresswell sent off.
"There was a power cut, delays, goals disallowed, tackles, bookings and a referee that seemed to lose his way right at the end," said Blackwell.
"I wasn't sure we would have players left the way he was going on.
Blackwell was also unhappy following the performance of referee Phil Crossley who officiated Friday's 1-1 first-leg draw at Elland Road.
"I was very sceptical about the two refereeing appointments made for this semi-final, and I made my feelings known to the powers that be at the time," said the Leeds boss.
"These games are too big for these kinds of officials. For all the teams in the playoff, these are £40m games.
"I don't understand why we should have a rabbit (Thorpe) in car headlights refereeing a game like this, but that's exactly how it ended up.
"He could well have denied two players a massive opportunity to play in the final with his display.
"I will have to have a look at the bookings and think about appealing."
Blackwell added: "I have to say the players showed tremendous tenacity.
"The lads gave me everything and I am very proud of them.
Preston manager Billy Davies said: "I'm very proud and pleased with the efforts with my players this season.
"It has been a tremendous effort, but unfortunately it wasn't to be.
"We can't sit back and make excuses. I wish Leeds all the best. We will now go away for a well-earned break and come back again next season."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23