Leeds Today: News, Sport, Jobs, Property, Cars, Entertainments & More

United boss eyes long-term Gray deal
By PAUL DEWS

LEEDS UNITED manager Kevin Blackwell today confirmed his interest in securing the services of Micky Gray on a permanent basis.
The Blackburn defender has just three games remaining as a Leeds player after tomorrow's trip to QPR, but Blackwell admits he is keen to keep the former Sunderland star for the longer term.
Blackwell said: "We'll be having a chat with Micky over the next few weeks.
"He knows we'd like to take him but we'll have to talk to him and Blackburn to see if we can come to any arrangement.
"This club is being run prudently now and we would have to come to an agreement with both Micky and Blackburn over wages.
"Any deal would have to be within our wage structure."
Gray, who returned to the United starting line-up at Watford last weekend, admits he is in limbo but says he would take the chance to extend his stay at Elland Road if a deal can be agreed.
"If the clubs can sort something out I'd love to stay," said the defender.
"I've spoken to a lot of Leeds fans and a lot of friends keep asking what I'm doing next season, but all I can say is that at the moment I'm still a Blackburn player and I'm contracted to them.
"Whether that's still the case next season I don't know because the summer is a long time.
"Leeds is a massive club, I've fitted in well with the players, the fans are brilliant, and I'm playing football under a manager who I really respect.
Negotiations
"If I can come here then it will be tremendous, but if not I will go back to Blackburn. I have a year left there and I'm a professional footballer so I'll give it my best shot."
Gray admits that hard negotiations will have to take place between Leeds and Blackburn if Blackwell is to agree a deal to keep him at Elland Road.
"The situation is that the clubs would have to sort something out," said Gray.
"If something happens it'll be great, if it doesn't happen I'll be a bit disappointed.
"Football shouldn't be about finances, it should be about football, and that's why I'm here. I just want to play for Leeds United. I've always played in the first team during my career – I'm up around 500 games and you don't get to that if you are sat in the stands, which I did at Blackburn.
"It's not a nice feeling when you are not involved, so when Leeds came in and gave me the chance to play I jumped at it.
"Ever since I walked through the door, when I came here, I haven't looked back."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23