Leeds Today

RIGHT ON RICKETTS

'I hope some of my touches showed my ability is starting to come out a bit'
By PAUL DEWS
GOAL-DEN boy Michael Ricketts broke his Elland Road duck last night and declared: "It's nice to get off the mark."

Ricketts fired Leeds United into the third round of the Carling Cup with a delightful finish as Kevin Blackwell's men edged their way to a 1-0 victory over Swindon Town.
It was Ricketts' first start since August and he repaid Blackwell's faith by scoring his first goal since joining the club from Middlesbrough last summer.
Said Ricketts: "It's been a long time coming. I've missed the last three pre-seasons and have struggled with my fitness, but it's been a case of getting fit and hoping my ability would tell.
"It took me a while to score at Middlesbrough, but when I was at Bolton I hit the ground running so it's nice to get off the mark here - especially at home as well.
"I've been doing extra training and I feel a lot fitter and a lot sharper, and I hope some of my touches last night showed my ability is starting to come out a bit."
United are now four games unbeaten and are on their best run of form since Christmas 2002.
Their next challenge is against Sunderland for a crucial Coca-Cola Championship showdown at Elland Road on Friday and Ricketts says it is important to keep the run going.
"We're a team in form and we need to keep the momentum going," said the striker.
Brett Ormerod will come into the reckoning for the Sunderland showdown, but Ricketts gave Blackwell a timely reminder of his talents last night and the manager was delighted.
Blackwell said: "That showed the capability of Michael Ricketts and that's why I think we have to be patient with the lad. hopefully he will go on and build on that now."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23