Burnley v Leeds United: Warnock frustrated by defeat

Yorkshire Evening Post 7/11/12
Leeds United manager Neil Warnock was at a loss to understand how his side had ended up empty-handed after a late Charlie Austin header earned Burnley a 1-0 win at Turf Moor.
Austin headed in a Chris McCann cross seven minutes from time but it was Leeds’ wastefulness at the other end that had their boss spitting feathers.
Aidan White - guilty of a second-half miss - came in for some particular criticism from Warnock with the Leeds boss pulling no punches.
“I think the last time I felt like this I was in Vietnam getting my pockets picked by a 75-year-old woman,” he said.
“I don’t think I’ve been as disappointed as this all season, I don’t know how we haven’t won that. I feel like I’ve been mugged.
“I’m really disappointed. You cannot miss chances like we have. We had a few words at half-time and we were better in the second half, we dominated.
“You have to die to get your goal. We had chances to win the game but we go back home, tail between the legs and we have lost another game.
“I don’t know how Aidy (White) missed that. I think the goalie must have been surprised when he hit it straight at him.
“I can’t blame the effort. We had a bit of a sickness bug this afternoon so that must have been one of the Burnley directors in the hotel we were at with the chicken.
“I thought the referee had a good game but the challenge by (Brian) Stock was a terrible one and should have been a red.”
For new Burnley boss Sean Dyche victory continued a dream start to his Clarets career following a 2-0 win over Wolves in his first match in charge on Saturday. Austin also scored in that victory and Dyche refused to put a limit on how many the former Swindon frontman can get this term.
“There is no reason why Charlie cannot go on and get more. There are no boundaries,” said Dyche.
“Charlie knows the build-up to that goal was top drawer. If you give someone like Charlie a ball like that into the box there is a good chance it will end up in the back of the net, especially at the moment.
“I thought we had enough chances to win the game. We created some good chances in the first half, had some good pockets of play and could have arguably nicked one but Leeds are a good side and Neil always has his sides set up well.
“In the second half they got the upper hand for 20 minutes and played some clever football to peg us back.
“I said to them at half-time that if you do the basics well then you will win this game and the goal was top drawer.
“We can still play better but there was pockets of really good play tonight and that was really pleasing.
“If you keep the opposition at zero then you have a chance.
“We are still a work in progress, most teams are and we are no different, there is much more to come.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23