Snodgrass reveals new doubts

Yorkshire Evening Post 22/5/12
By Leon Wobschall
Robert Snodgrass has cast fresh doubt over his Leeds United future – and admits he is unsure whether the club’s ambitions match his own.
The United skipper is mulling over whether to accept United’s offer of a contract extension, which would make him the highest-paid player at Elland Road, and is expected to reveal his decision next month.
The Scottish international’s current deal runs out next summer, with the club keen to secure his long-term future.
But with so much to consider in the light of United’s failure to win promotion and the possibility of renewed Premiership interest, the 24-year-old isn’t rushing into things and has reiterated he will put his family first when he arrives at his decision.
He said: “The next decision for me is vital. But it’s not about me, it’s about my family and making the right decision for them. I have a wife and daughter now, plus there’s my mum and dad who have always stood by me when times were tough.
“The chairman is trying to put a bit of pressure on me. He’s telling me what planshe has got for the club. But they told me the same type of plans the season before and it didn’t work out. So it’s hard to buy into these things again.
“I’m captain now, so I should be able to just sit back and let everything else happen. But it’s a wee bit unfortunate that I’m in this situation. I’ll make the right decision when the time comes.”
Snodgrass added that his desire to become a Scotland international regular would also be an influence in his final decision, while admitting he would not rely on manager Neil Warnock to orchestrate a dream move for him into the Premiership – if he commits to Leeds, but the club find themselves out of the promotion picture next season.
Snodgrass, capped five times by his country, said: “The Scotland manager has told me a few times that there is a window of opportunity for progress. I need to think about that as well.
“It’s hard for an international manager to throw a Championship player in at the deep end for some of these big World Cup or European Championship qualifiers. He’s got a job to do and needs to pick his best possible eleven. If you are playing with better players in the Premier League, then it only helps Scotland as well.
“I’d love to get into the Premier League. I would love it to happen with Leeds United. I’m captain now, which is something new to me and a different challenge.
“To lead Leeds United back into the Premier League would be a dream come true. The full place would be absolutely buzzing.
“But who knows whether he (Warnock) has got one or two years left at Leeds? If it’s one year and I don’t sign the contract, then I’ll be free next year. If I do sign, I’d have another year left and be in the same situation I am in now.
“So it’s all right for him to say he could get me a move, but if he leaves, then the people up above him in the football club are not going to worry about what he said. My future doesn’t lie in the hands of Neil Warnock, it’s in the hands of Robert Snodgrass. “I just need to take each step as it comes, I’m sure the manager has the best interests of the club at heart. If I move on, the club keeps rolling on. It’s a business and he’ll know he can bring in new players to replace me.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23