Leedsunited.com 19/2/12
THIS IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST - NEIL
New Leeds United manager Neil Warnock firmly believes he has joined one of the biggest clubs in the country.
Warnock was confirmed as the club's new manager on Saturday lunchtime after agreeing a contract until the end of the 2012/13 season.
The former Sheffield United boss, who has won seven promotions during his career, was also being heavily linked with the vacant managerial positions at Wolves and Huddersfield.
But after being confirmed as the new Leeds boss he arrived at Elland Road on Saturday and he immediately had an input into the 3-2 win against Doncaster Rovers which he watched from the stands.
"It was a fantastic welcome on Saturday, from turning up at the ground and seeing all the supporters," said the new manager, who parted company with his previous club QPR just six weeks ago, less than 12 months after leading them to the Premier League.
"Over the last few days that's been the big pull for me. I've never been so popular which is unusual for me! It was great to be wanted by a number of clubs, but the crowd here has always been special and I just felt it was the right club both in terms of what I was looking for and what they were looking for, and it could be a good mix.
"I've not slept for a few days, I thought I was going to one place and then another, and then I went to Monaco on Friday and talked to the chairman. He was very positive in what he said and I think he understood where I was coming from as well so rather than delaying things we decided to get it done.
"We were going to leave it a couple of days, but I felt if I was coming it was important that I was there against Doncaster and have an input, and I was glad I was there."
The move to Elland Road represents a return to Yorkshire for Warnock, who has already managed Scarborough, Huddersfield Town, and Sheffield United in the White Rose county.
"This is a fantastic club," he said. "The club itself must be one of the top half a dozen in the country. There's no local rivals, it's a one club city and it's got everything.
"I enjoyed myself at QPR and it broke my heart when I left, but it was a similar situation when I took over there because some of the fans were 'well, we didn't really want you Warnock, but we're glad you've come.'
"Yorkshire people are like that and I think they appreciate straight people who give it their best. I'll do that and I feel I have something to contribute to the club."
Warnock is viewed as one of the great characters of the game and he could be seen on his feet in the old directors box at Elland Road on Saturday when Luciano Becchio fired home a late, late winner to sink Doncaster.
"I manage with a lot of energy, it's the way I am," he said.
"My demands of the players are very strict, but I enjoy it and I want to enjoy it, and as long as I am enjoying it I'm going to manage. If I stop enjoying it I will call it a day.
"I want to be at a club like this. I can't remember jumping as high for a third goal as I did on Saturday. It was good, talking to the players before and at half-time and getting a response."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23