Yorkshire Evening Post 22/7/11
Nunez fights for first team place INTERVIEW
By Phil Hay
Leeds United have a recent tradition of finding gems in obscure locations.
Jermaine Beckford and Davide Somma created a trend which Ramon Nunez, the Honduran international, plans to follow at Elland Road.
He might have been on the periphery of United’s squad last season but, at Leeds of all clubs, he should not need to be told about the virtue of patience. Beckford took a year-and-a-half to make a telling impression and Somma’s league debut came after 12 months of doubt and a loan at Lincoln City. The lesson seems clear enough.
Nunez’s situation is more akin to Somma’s than it is to Beckford’s.
At the beginning of May, before Leeds took up the option to extend his contract by a further year, it was not entirely clear whether Nunez’s career in West Yorkshire had anywhere left to run.
His appearances for Leeds numbered two and his time on the field totalled 42 minutes until he was loaned to Scunthorpe United in March.
Yet, in keeping with the progress of Somma, Nunez received the guarantee of a “big opportunity” from his manager, Simon Grayson, last week and has so far done what he can to grasp it. His fine goal at Motherwell, the highlight of United’s tour to Scotland, displayed his name in lights for the first time.
The obvious question for a player like him is how he coped with the uncertainty of his first year in Leeds.
United signed him last summer on a six-month deal and then extended his agreement for a further six months, without any sign that Grayson planned to use him imminently.
A temporary transfer to Glanford Park, where Grayson said Nunez “began to understand what’s required in the English game”, was United’s way of saying that the 25-year-old’s time would come later.
“I found the last year a bit frustrating but I guess that’s natural,” Nunez conceded. “However things looked for me, I kept my head up and made sure I was focused and positive. It’s all you can do and it’s the only way to move forward.
“Being positive makes a difference to the way you play and I think that’s shown in pre-season so far.
“I’m getting a bit more of an opportunity and I feel in the right frame of mind to take it. It seems like I’ve got a good chance of getting into the starting XI.
“Other players here have been in my position and Somma’s situation is something you have to look at. It lets you know that if you play well enough and work hard enough, your chance will come eventually.
“He’s a great example of that and I hope I’ll be next.”
United’s reticence in selecting Nunez last season was not shared by his home nation, Honduras. The Central American republic continued to call up the 5ft 5in attacker as a matter of course and used him last month in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, a tournament where Honduras reached the semi-finals.
Nunez appeared five times as a substitute but his competitive commitments in a month when the majority of United’s players were on holiday allowed him to report back to Thorp Arch in fine health.
From the outset of pre-season training, Grayson made it clear that the former Deportivo Olim man would be as involved in United’s friendlies as any other squad member. At Falkirk last midweek, he stood out in a mundane friendly, and at the weekend his winning goal stole the show at Fir Park. Nunez made another 45-minute appearance at Rochdale on Tuesday and will play again in Sheffield this weekend, with the start of the season a fortnight away.
Injuries to Somma and Luciano Becchio have scarcely harmed his prospects of starting at Southampton on August 6.
“I feel very good and very positive,” Nunez added. “I’ve been trying to work as hard as possible to earn a spot, as everyone has.
“I’m very happy and I think that comes from all the work I’m putting in.
“I had a good summer, did well with my national team, and that’s helped me coming into pre-season. What I want now is a good start to the season.
“I’d have liked to have a go at it last season and unfortunately that wasn’t possible but this year is going to be very different. I know that.
“I kept my mind very positive and my time at Scunthorpe was a good way of showing myself off and earning a chance this season. A few games there will definitely have helped me.”
Nunez scored three goals in eight appearances for the Iron, enhancing his own prospects if not those of a club who were relegated from the Championship. Scunthorpe’s manager, Alan Knill, said Nunez had “showcased his skills and probably won a few admirers”.
Grayson wanted the player to learn about the Championship and familiarise himself with the division’s pace and requirements. Nunez says he is “completely adapted” after his loan stint and considers himself settled in both Leeds and England.
“This is where I want to be,” he said. “I’m settled in England and I’m happy at Leeds. They’re a team with a lot of tradition and a lot of history. Ideally, I’d like this to be a long-term thing for me.
“I grew up in America, so there are a lot of similarities with England. It hasn’t been hard for me to fit in.
“The fans have been supportive and that’s a great feeling for a player – another thing that’s given me the extra confidence I need – and I want to thank them for that.
“The gaffer hasn’t said too much to me, but what he has said has been very positive. That’s always great for a player. It gives you an extra push.
“I see myself having a big role here and I want to help Leeds get promoted next season. Everybody wants to see Leeds in the Premier League and I think we’ve got a good chance of getting there.”
The dilemma for Grayson is where best to utilise Nunez, a versatile player who can operate as a winger or a forward.
Max Gradel and Robert Snodgrass are likely to occupy either flank when the Championship season starts, but the loss of Becchio and Somma has forced United’s manager to reconsider his options in attack.
If Nunez’s short time at Scunthorpe proved one thing, it was a steady eye for goal.
“I definitely feel more comfortable in behind a striker,” Nunez said. “But I’m also willing to put in the work on the wings.
“Wherever the gaffer decides to play me, I’ll be up to it.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23