Leedsunited.com 3/6/10
BILLY'S RARIN' TO GO
Stríker Billy Paynter had little hesitation in deciding to link up with Leeds United. "I enjoyed my time at Swindon but when Leeds come knocking at your door you don't turn them away," he said.
The Liverpool born player, who will begin a three-year deal at Elland Road on July 1, scored 29 goals for Swindon Town last season, four of which were scored against Leeds.
"Yes, I had two good games against Leeds last season but I'm just pleased that Leeds went up," he said.
"As soon as I knew Leeds were interested in me I really wanted to come to the club. It's just a massive club. I have never seen a training ground like Thorp Arch and Elland Road is such a class stadium and to be part of this set up is a privilege."
Paynter had his best season last term as Swindon reached the play-off final. "It was a good season for me and hopefully I can continue to get goals and help Leeds along the way. To be honest I would like to start right away. I'm really buzzing," he said.
With Jermaine Beckford having left to join Everton, Paynter might be forgiven if he should feel under some pressure.
"If there was only myself coming into the club and Leeds had paid a lot of money for me there would be big pressure. But I am sure the gaffer will be bringing in other players following the loss of Jermaine Beckford. He was such a vital player for Leeds."
Paynter is the second player Simon Grayson has recruited following the signing of goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel as he prepares United for life in the Championship.
"Kasper is a big signing," Paynter said, adding: "It just shows you the direction the gaffer wants to go in and I am sure that we will not be the only signings."
Following the Championship exploits of Blackpool and Leicester City last season could Leeds challenge for the play offs next season? "Yes, I think so," Paynter said.
"League One is a difficult league to get out of but Leeds have got out of it and we can look forward and I think next season is going to be a good one for Leeds."Looking back to last season when he got 29 goals, Paynter said: "I feel I am developing as a player even though I have been around for a long time. Coming to Leeds I will be learning more and playing under a great manager, who was keen to take me on as a player," he added.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23