Yorkshire Post 19/12/06
Stone departs backing Wise to beat drop
United's former England midfield man finally admits defeat in battle against injury
Richard Sutcliffe
STEVE STONE may not be around to help the fight any more, but the former England international is backing Leeds United to battle their way out of relegation trouble in the Championship.The 35-year-old has this week brought the curtain down on his career after failing to recover fully from an Achilles injury sustained during pre-season last year.Stone had to wait eight months for his debut and even though he went on to chalk up 14 appearances, the United midfield player has now admitted defeat with a settlement having been reached over the remaining seven months of his contract.It means a frustrating end to a career that included the highs of helping England to the semi-finals in Euro '96 and winning promotion to the top flight three times.Speaking to the Yorkshire Post from his native North East, Stone said: "It has been a really frustrating year-and-a-bit. I came to Leeds full of hope that I could be part of another promotion success."Leeds needed a right-sided midfielder because Aaron Lennon had been sold and I was really looking forward to the challenge."But unfortunately, four or five days into pre-season I suffered the Achilles injury and it has never really recovered. I got back eventually but knew things weren't right pretty much straight away."I was getting a pain every time I tried to sprint, and if you can't do that at the top level then you can't do your job. I tried to adapt my game but it proved impossible and as someone who has always given his all, I knew I couldn't go on."It was only fair on the club to go to them and say 'I can't do this any more'. That way they can save on tax and a few other things, and I can get on with the next part of my life."People keep asking me if I will be bored but I have several business interests in the North East, including a building firm and a scaffolding firm. I am also doing some media work with Five Live, while my four kids will also make sure I am never bored."Stone's Achilles injury and the complications that followed during his rehabilitation means he has watched plenty of United from the sidelines in the past 16 months and is adamant his former club have what it takes to get out of trouble.He said: "Last season was frustrating from my point of view but what kept me going was our results. The team were doing well and I really thought we were going to catch Sheffield United."It also made it easier for me because the pressure was off when I finally made my debut. This season, though, it has been very different because results have been poor. That just added to the frustration."Leeds will get out of trouble, I am certain of that. Obviously, this season was supposed to be about building on last year and making sure we went up."It has not turned out like that, unfortunately, and now there is a new manager. Dennis Wise has already started to rip the team apart and bring in his own men, and that will continue in the January transfer window."He will mould a new team and get Leeds away from the bottom of the table. The time to judge him properly will be next season when it is completely his own team, but I still think he will keep Leeds up." Stone quite rightly looks back proudly on his three promotion successes and appearance in the 2000 FA Cup final despite being in the Aston Villa team beaten by Chelsea in the last final to be played at Wembley.And he remembers fondly his part in Euro '96 when he came off the bench against Switzerland, Scotland and Spain as England battled through to the semi-finals where they lost on penalties to Germany.Stone said: "Euro '96 was a fantastic experience and something club football just can't replicate. It made it even more special because we were in the country at the time so could see how everyone got caught up in the excitement."It was once-in-a-lifetime stuff for everyone from the players to the fans. It was great to play a part, though I remember thinking when I came off the bench in extra-time against Spain in the quarter-final 'I hope I don't have to take a penalty if it stays 0-0 in normal time'."I was down to take the seventh penalty with Robbie Fowler taking the one before me. Thankfully, we weren't needed as we won 4-2 on penalties."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23