Sporting Life 30/9/06
CARVER: HONEYMOON PERIOD IS OVER
By Andy Tilley, PA Sport
Caretaker Leeds manager John Carver is in the dark about how long he will remain in charge at Elland Road but admits his "honeymoon period" is over.
Leeds slumped to a 4-2 defeat against 10-man West Brom at the Hawthorns, and Carver scotched reports chairman Ken Bates had promised him the manager's job made vacant by the sacking of Kevin Blackwell.
But Carver, who steered Leeds to a 3-2 win against Birmingham in his first match last week, confirmed he was ready to carry on in the role.
Carver said: "It is not true I have been given the job.
"I have spoken to the chairman and all he's told me to do is get on with it.
"He has not told me anything other than that about the job and I am not listening to anything which comes from the outside.
"My job, as I see it, is to get this team up the league.
"There has been a honeymoon period for me but this result has been a wake-up call because there are things we need to work on."
Carver's wretched afternoon was made worse by the news full-back Gary Kelly suffered a suspected broken metatarsal, while Kevin Nicholls was carried off after sustaining suspected medial knee ligament damage.
Carver said: "Gary will go for X-rays but we think it is a broken metatarsal.
"As far as Kevin is concerned, the grass was long and he has caught his bladed boots in the grass.
"If Alex Ferguson is concerned about bladed boots then I am concerned about them.
"Once the rain came down, there were six or so players who were slipping all over the place.
"It is something I will look at because I want my players fit and it that means changing their footwear then so be it."Meanwhile, West Brom caretaker manager Nigel Pearson was celebrating extending his unbeaten run to three games since the departure of Bryan Robson.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23