Yorkshire Evening Post 28/8/06
United are forcing me out
EXCLUSIVE by Phil Hay
Leeds United midfielder Eirik Bakke today insisted he is being forced out of Elland Road after the club warned they can no longer afford to finance his salary.
Bakke was missing from United's squad at Sheffield Wednesday yesterday amid assertions that he had lined up a transfer out of Elland Road, but the former Norwegian international claimed today that this was a smokescreen for United's attempt to cut him from their wage bill. Leeds are not thought to have received any official approaches for Bakke, and the club are short of time to find a buyer with the transfer window due to close on Thursday evening. Bakke claimed his agent was contacted last week by United's chief executive officer Shaun Harvey, who warned that the midfielder had played his final game for the Elland Road club. Bakke's salary – thought to stand at £23,000 a week – is a considerable burden on United's finances and a lasting result of the five-year deal he received from Peter Ridsdale in 2002. Leeds now seem intent on lifting the cost of his contract. Bakke returned to Norway towards the end of last week after receiving confirmation on Friday that he would not be included in the squad to face Wednesday at Hillsborough. The 28-year-old told the YEP: "My agent was contacted by Shaun Harvey last week and was told that, because of financial circumstances, I wouldn't be playing for Leeds United again. "I found out on Friday that I wouldn't be involved against Wednesday and I'm now back in Norway. It's difficult to say what's going to happen. "As far as I'm aware there are no offers for me and the talk about me taking a transfer to another club is wrong. Leeds want me to leave. "But I want to stay. I'm coming back from injury and I need games, so it's a very worrying time. But I'm still a Leeds United player." Bakke has made four appearances this season, scoring in the Carling Cup win over Chester last week, but United have long been concerned about the size of his salary. The midfielder joined Aston Villa on loan last year with a view to a permanent move, but the deal fell through after Bakke sustained a hamstring injury.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23