Blackwell Demands More Courage
leedsunited.com

United boss Kevin Blackwell was critical of his side after they could only earn a point in a 0-0 draw with Stoke.
Blackwell pointed the finger at his forwards in particular after Leeds missed what he felt was a great opportunity to recover lost ground in the automatic promotion chase.
The Whites boss, who started with David Healy and Rob Hulse upfront, could not complain about the work-rate of his side but expected them to cause Stoke more problems.
"We have had loads of play again but I am asking the strikers to be more assertive in the last third," he said.
"It's as simple as that and in my opinion the front two have ducked it on Saturday and I've told them that.
"Stoke dropped deep and made it difficult for us. They are a big physical side who are hard to break down and that proved to be the case. In the first half we had spells of good pressure but it's the bain of every manager when crosses are delivered and you don't miss out the first man, and when they drop in there and the keeper just comes and gets the ball you have to ask where is the second striker and why the striker isn't across him.
"I have to ask my forwards to show a little bit of balls if you like, especially when the prize is as big as we are chasing.
"It wasn't a tongue lashing at half time because I think people can see we have again had more than the lions share of possession.
"At times they were just sat in the box, we have caused them plenty of problems with the ball but in the last third again a bit of courage, bit of balls, bit of desire has gone missing. I have put the question to them why that was missing.
"That's being as straight and honest as I can be."
Blackwell showed his intent to get goals with a bench that included three attacking players and he wasn't afraid to make changes in the hope of getting the crucial breakthrough.
"I have gone with three strikers on the bench, and just Killa and a goalkeeper, and I've changed it with half an hour to go so I am not hanging around, I want to give it a go and win games. I am not sitting on my hands waiting and waiting."It was one of those war of attrition games and it was always going to be a 1-nil-er and we just couldn't get the one."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23