Marsch apologises to Leeds fans but is sure his job is safe after Leicester loss - The Athletic 20/10/22


By Phil Hay

Jesse Marsch has apologised to the Leeds United fans for not acknowledging them — but believes his job is safe despite the crowd turning on him during his side’s loss to Leicester City.

Leeds lost 2-0 on Thursday night courtesy of an own goal from Robin Koch and a Harvey Barnes strike. The result leaves Leeds just above the relegation zone.

The away end at the King Power Stadium questioned Marsch’s decision to replace Luis Sinisterra, while they also sang the name of the American’s predecessor, Marcelo Bielsa. When Marsch failed to go over to them, they questioned where he was.

He said: “In that moment I’m disappointed and I’m trying to figure out what to say to the team and how to regroup for Sunday.

“My focus is totally on Sunday. It’s nothing against the fans, maybe I should go over there next time no matter what. I want to say sorry.

“But it had nothing to do with anything other than focusing on everything we need to do to get ready for Sunday.”

Asked about the reaction of the fans, he added: “Have they been against me? I think they’ve supported me really well, the board have supported me really well.

“Tonight, no-one’s happy. I’m probably as disappointed and frustrated-slash-angry as I’ve ever been in terms of football. In the end we have to manage the situation and when we step on the pitch on Sunday, invest everything to get that result.”

Leeds have picked up just two points from their last seven games – but Marsch is insistent that he has the backing of the board.

Marsch said: “I know I’m supported by the club. Right now I’m just trying to figure out how to help our team win games.

“Frustration and disappointment and we make life difficult for ourselves, more difficult than we need to. The focus is on stopping the bleeding on Sunday.”

He continued: “The board, we’re totally unified. That’s not an issue.”

Leeds face Fulham on Sunday.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23